San Diego for the Outdoors Lover
San Diego’s average high temp is around 69 degrees, and the average low is just 57. Those temperatures, plus around 322 days with sunshine, mean it’s always a great day to be outdoors. Our miles of coastline and parks give you plenty of fun outdoor activities. There’s just no reason to come inside until bedtime. Here’s how to spend your day:
• Head to the beach. Any of San Diego’s beaches are great for hanging out on and walking in the sand. Take a surfing lesson to learn the local’s favorite water sport. The beach in La Jolla is a great option for kayaking and snorkeling.
• Enjoy the water from a boat. Head out to sea on a cruise. Options include a harbor cruise, with great views of our waterfront, and whale-watching cruises. You can spot whales all year long in San Diego Bay. The San Diego Maritime Museum offers unique ways to cruise the harbor, including a tall ship and a Swift boat ride.
• Explore Balboa Park. Balboa Park is filled with dozens of San Diego’s best museums, but you can enjoy a day exploring the park’s 1,200 acres without stepping through any doors. Enjoy strolling beneath palm trees, through cultivated gardens, or hiking the park’s trails.
• Hike in Torrey Pines State Park. Take a clifftop hike in Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. You’ll walk by rare pine trees, and, depending which trail you take, have views of marshes, the ocean, or badlands.
• Enjoy the amenities at Best Western Plus Island Palms. You’ll start enjoying San Diego outdoors as soon as you step out of your room. Our Shelter Island location puts us right on the water, with paths for biking (we’ll lend you the bikes) and strolling past the marina. Play tennis and take a dip in the pool, then end your day with a view of sunset from our on-site restaurant. A stroll beneath the stars lets you enjoy the outdoors just a little while longer until your day has to end.