Labor Day Events Mark the End of Summer – Best Western Plus Island Palms
Summer officially ends in mid-September, but the unofficial end is Labor Day Weekend–one last chance to hang out with the family before the kids head back to school. In San Diego, you’ll find special events, exhibits, and concerts to make the weekend fun. Plus our weather is summer-like year-round, so you can enjoy our attractions any time.
Labor Day Weekend Events
Check out one of these events to add a special experience to your San Diego visit:
• US Sand Sculpting Challenge and Dimensional Art Exhibition. The artists who compete in this challenge do more than just play in the sand, they create masterworks.
• Festival of Sail. You’ll always see beautiful ships when you walk along our waterfront, and this festival adds the glory and grandeur of tall masted vessels.
• Barona PowWow. The Barona Tribe gathers to test their skills in traditional dancing.
Our museums bring culture to the city year-round. Take a look at one of these exhibits running over the holiday weekend:
• San Diego Air & Space Museum. Leonardo Da Vinci was more than a painter, he was an inventor and engineer who dreamed of flying. See the museum’s exhibit of his innovations, plus other special exhibits.
• San Diego Museum of Man. Explore the story of mankind in exhibits that look at how humanity lived in Mexico, Ancient Egypt, California, and more.
• San Diego Natural History Museum. The biggest mammals on Earth don’t walk on earth, they swim in the ocean. Take a deep dive with Whales to learn their stories.
• San Diego Museum of Art. You’ll find modern works exploring life in the city, traditional Chinese paintings, and more.
Sing a song of farewell to summer at one of these musical events:
• Tchaikovsky 1812 Spectacular. A booming farewell to summer, in music and fireworks.
• Fan Halen performs their tribute to Van Halen at the House of Blues
• Yes. The legendary band performs at Humphreys Concerts by the Bay, just a five minute walk away!
The Fun Doesn’t End
San Diego’s special events calendar is full all year long, so you don’t have to cram all the fun into this weekend. The Embarcadero waterfront and Balboa park are perfect for strolling all year long; so are the bayside paths at the Best Western Plus Island Palms. Our location makes getting to the best of San Diego easy whichever season you visit.