Pop the Question in San Diego
There’s nothing more romantic than going on vacation with your significant other, especially if you’re planning on proposing during your getaway! Still — we know the pressure to plan a unique and special proposal can be daunting. Luckily, we’re in “America’s Finest City”; a.k.a., one of the most popular places to propose in the country. and with an abundance of beautiful parks, unforgettable sunsets, rooftop restaurants and private charters, San Diego has some of the best proposal spots imaginable.From beautiful parks to unforgettable sunsets, rooftop restaurants to private charters, San Diego has some of the best proposal spots around.
Are you planning on popping the question this year? We’ve got some great proposal ideas to help you usher in a wow-worthy engagement in 2023!
Say It With Wedding-Worthy Decor
Gone are the days of simple rose petals and candles. If you really wish to impress your love, drop down on one knee in front of a professionally designed floral backdrop. Pampas grass, bohemian vibes, and hexagonal arches are popular designs that aren’t projected to go away in the new year. Personalize the experience even more by adding your partner’s favorite flowers or colors to the decor.
Light Up the Sky
As technology advances, so do the ways in which to pop the question! Consider using a custom neon sign or marquee letters for a smaller, more personal moment. However, if you want to go big, fireworks and drones used to spell out “Will you marry me?” are becoming more and more popular. Flown over the ocean, we think drones are a perfect proposal idea!
Start With a Photo Shoot
Book a romantic couples photo shoot and, mid-shoot, drop down to one knee! The complete surprise will be forever documented and so will the ensuing celebrations. Whether you choose a location that is special to you or discover somewhere new, that spot will forever hold a special place in your hearts.
Now that you have some ideas of how to propose, let us help you with where to propose!
Sail into Happily Ever After
If you’d rather be on the water than the beach, consider a private sailboat tour. Tons of sailing companies offer private sunset dinners, perfect for popping the question…and for giving your significant other that movie-scene moment of their dreams. Even better, some all inclusive packages offer a photographer to capture your special moment. Next Level Sailing: Our friends and partners at Next Level Sailing will treat you like family! Whether you’re planning an intimate proposal or an evening full of friends and loved ones, they have a charter option for you. They’re also located right near our hotel!
2050 Shelter Island Dr, San Diego, CA 92106
Love Is In The Air
What better way to ask your partner to be yours than to pop the question while literally floating on air? San Diego’s most breathtaking vistas are even more incredible when viewed from above. So why not reserve a hot air balloon ride for your special moment? Not only will it be a moment neither of you will ever forget, but it’ll be a conversation-starter for the rest of your days.
Shout It From the Rooftops
There’s no better way to ask for your sweetheart’s hand than asking with a gorgeous view as your backdrop (a common theme for all of these local suggestions). Whether you’re looking over the ocean or city, there are plenty of rooftops perfect for your San Diego proposal, meaning that any engagement photos captured on the big day will be even more stunning! Pro-tip: hire a photographer to hide in a designated spot, ready to capture the moment paparazzi-style.
- Mister A’s (5.3 miles away): Offering gorgeous views of the city, Mister A’s has the perfect rooftop, and is the perfect balance of upscale and casual! Enjoy delicious food and drink before you propose and a champagne toast for after. (2550 Fifth Ave 12th floor, San Diego, CA 92103)
- Cannonball (5.6 miles away): San Diego’s largest ocean view rooftop provides a perfect backdrop for your proposal, set along the boardwalk in nearby Mission Beach. Enjoy delicious sushi rolls and exciting cocktails to make your day even more memorable. (3105 Ocean Front Walk, San Diego, CA 92109)
Plan A Whole Day Around It
With plenty of gardens, parks, and beaches in San Diego, why not plan an entire day for your soon-to-be-fiancée? For instance, Balboa Park is a great place to spend a romantic day together. The two of you can visit museums and the zoo, catch a show, shop, and wander around the gardens and trails before finding the perfect spot to propose. Similarly, La Jolla is also a seaside jewel filled with beautiful beaches, cozy eateries, and quaint storefronts full of unique treasures.
Ask at Sunset
There’s nothing more romantic than watching the sunset, especially in San Diego where we have some of the most stunning sunsets around. Order your favorite food to-go and pop the question as the sun turns the sky amazing pinks and oranges. Or for a more planned-out and formal event, plan a sunset beach picnic.
- Sunset Cliffs (2.6 miles away): Located just over the hill from us, this stunning spot is known to put on a show every night, offering some of the most spectacular views in the state. Add to the magic of the area by proposing and locking in a lifetime of memories from this location (Ladera St, San Diego, CA 92107)
- Embarcadero (5.3 miles away): Recognized by its “Kissing Statue,” the Embarcadero provides amazing sunset views. Not only that, but after the proposal, you can recreate the “Kissing Statue” with your new betrothed. (43-99 Tuna Ln, San Diego, CA 92101)
Ask on Shelter Island
Shelter Island is a stunning location all on its own. Add the magic of a proposal, and it’s somehow even more spectacular. Our own “private island” offers secluded and tranquil vibes, adding to the romance.
- Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel: Located here on Shelter Island, our hotel is perfect for a romantic getaway and provides some beautiful places to propose. Pop the question while enjoying the sparkling marina views and delicious food and drinks at Blue Wave Bar & Grill. Take a lovely waterfront stroll on our walking path, or set up some flowers and candles and propose from your gorgeous guest room!
After They Say “YES!” Plan for “I Do” at Best Western Island Palms
We provide a spectacular waterfront venue where all your wedding dreams will come true. Perfect for intimate or larger affairs, our reception room can seat up to 150 guests. We provide exceptional services, personalized catering, and can help plan a destination wedding. Click here to learn more about all our wedding services, our waterfront venues, menus and get in contact with our team for questions. You can also check out our dedicated weddings account on Instagram. We can’t wait to celebrate your special day! Check out weddings that have happened at our beautiful venue:
Discover Best Western Island Palms, and reserve your romantic getaway today!